"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perserverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12.1-3

in the fall, we were two miserable students sitting in anthropology class attempting to occupy the lecture time with anything but what the professor wanted to say so, we began reading a blog. it's the story of libby ryder and her battle against cancer. since september, God has used libby's story to awaken in us a realization of the story he has written for our own lives. libby has shown us what it means to set our eyes on Jesus and run, with reckless abandonment, into the arms of the Father. libby's friend angie has decided to run a half marathon in celebration of the end of libby's chemo and, lord willing, her cancer. following libby's example, we are joining in the celebration. we. are. not. runners. we are scared. we are full of doubts. but, we are inspired. the past year has been full of triumphs and tribulations for us, too. this is a physical representation of us throwing off everything that has hindered and entangled- pain, heartache, doubt, shame- and running to Jesus and basking in his grace. this run is for libby. this run if for freedom. our only hope is that He will be glorified.

"Let us hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have broken rejoice!" Psalm 51.8

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

20

"i have designed you to need me moment by moment. as your awareness of your neediness increases, so does your realization of my abundant sufficiency. i can meet every one of your needs without draining my resources at all. approach my throne of grace with bold confidence, receiving my peace with a thankful heart." -jesus calling

what an encouragement this was this morning. needing jesus moment by moment is not weakness, we are designed that way. and oh how i needed jesus moment by moment (mile by mile) today.  we ran 9 point something close to 10. it was hard but it is done. its hard to describe our runs and i feel like i always say the same thing, "hard but good" but thats kind of all i can say. we ran with laney [who will be running with us in nashville] and one of her friends halie sue. something crazy about them: they dont run with music. seems like such an irrelevant thing but my runs are literally planned around charging my ipod and i really didn't think i could do it without.  but i wasn't going to be the only non-social loser running with my ipod [not that i could talk much anyway] so i didnt take it. and survived, i know crazy.  and i might have even liked it better. time seemed to go by a little faster. i hit a hard part at mile 6 and it never really got easier til i was done but never did i think that i couldn't finish. somehow in the midst of 9 miles i was confident. confident in jesus' strength and confident that the holy spirit was going to continue to carry my feet even when my knees hurt, even when my breathing was out of control, and even when i was moving as slow as a turtle. over and over i prayed, carry my feet holy spirit.and they were carried, 9 and something miles. and i am so thankful.

tomorrow [well today since it is now after midnight] i turn twenty. twenty, that sounds weird. it will be a girls day with my mom and my sisters with cute restaurants, massages, girl talk, my sweet little nieces, cupcakes and a family softball game to end the night.  [my dad and brother-in-laws all play on a league for my parents church] but i am so excited about just the [quiet] time (my nieces will be with their "a-ma" for some of the afternoon) that i will get to spend with my mom and sisters.  there is something so sweet about sisters, especially as you grow older and get to experience more of life together without all the dumb fights that you had growing up.  and same goes with my mom, i would have probably thought you were crazy if you told me in high school that my mom was going to be one of my best friends in college but its true. time with just us 4 is so rare and special to me. so tomorrow i am going to really take advantage of it because there's no other way that i would rather spend my birthday.

and my birthday present to myself, a day of rest :) which i think is well deserved after today.

cheers to 20,
han

1 comment:

  1. My dearest Hannah. You are such a blessing in my life I can't even begin to tell you! I love your sweet spirit, your kind and compassionate heart, you are patient and long-suffering, sensitive to others, always putting them before yourself. You are an encourager and you inspire others - especially me! You persevere through tough times - and you come out stronger, better. That's why I know you will finish this race. It will be hard at times but you will persevere cause that's what you do! I hope I can be there to cheer you on! I will definitely be praying. :)
    Happy Birthday sweetie! I can't wait to spend the day with you!
    All my love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete